Printable Instructions and Information
Day of Procedure (Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Patient Instructions)
- No solid food or milk products for 8 hours prior to Endoscopy.
- No Liquids, including water 4 hours prior to endoscopy.
- If you have any questions do not hesitate to call our office.
- Please arrange for an adult to accompany you home after your procedure.
Details About Your Endoscopy
What is the purpose of the test?
The purpose of the test is to evaluate upper abdominal symptoms such as heartburn, bleeding, nausea, vomiting, etc. During the test the lining of the esophagus, stomach and duodenum (first part of the small intestine) are examined.
What occurs during the Examination?
Before the test an intravenous sedative will be given. The doctor will then pass the flexible video camera into the mouth and down the esophagus. The lining of the upper intestinal tract is visually examined. Biopsies may be taken through the instrument. The entire procedure is usually completed in less than ten minutes.
Are there any possible complications?
Endoscopy is safe and is associated with very low risk. Complications can occur but are rare. Please advise Dr. Seecoomar if you are taking blood thinners and/or aspirin.
Possible Complications Include:
• Hemorrhage (bleeding)
• Perforation (tearing) of the esophagus or stomach
• An adverse reaction to one of the medications.
It is important to inform your doctor of allergies or adverse reactions you have had to medications.
It should be emphasized that complications are extremely rare. This is a routine procedure and extreme care is always taken.
After the Procedure
• You may have a mild sore throat
• Do not drive or drink alcohol for 24 hours.
• You may eat soon after the procedure.
• Any restrictions will be discussed with you after the procedure.
• The doctor will discuss the results with you. You may be asked to follow up with the doctor in his office at 60 West 68th Street.
Cancellations and No Shows
If you must cancel your endoscopy, please advise our office at least 72 hours prior to the procedure or you will be subject to a $100 cancellation/no show fee.
Dr. Seecoomar specializes in the treatment of gastrointestinal problems using traditional and innovative practices. Stomach pain can be caused by a number of issues. By setting an appointment and talking with Dr. Seecoomar, patients will receive a full evaluation of their stomach problems and the next steps on treating symptoms and healing the underlying problems.